Mindfulness Classes Wicklow
Greystones and Newtownmountkennedy
I offer various Mindfulness classes either in a group or on an individual basis. Courses typically range from 4 to 6 week as well as 8 weeks for the MBSR Course (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)
Mindfulness Classes Wicklow can also provide Introductory courses to Teachers in Schools or other organisations on request. These courses can be designed and structured to suit the specific needs and requirements of the group.
How are Mindfulness Classes Wicklow being taught?
Depending on the group and lenght of time a typical class always includes a combination of the main Mindfulness Skills.
- Body Scan - a practice where we pay attention to the sensations in the body
- Mindful Movement - a practice where we pay attention the the sensations, thoughts and feeling while we are moving the body. The movements are generally slow and gentle and are either done standing up, sitting down or lying down.
- Meditation Practice - this practice is very varied but generally involves either sitting or lying down and bringing the awareness to the body, breath, thoughts and emotions.
- Informal Mindfulness Skills- these are practices that are gradually introduced over time and are great in helping to integrate the other 3 more formal practices into our daily life. They are usually quite fun and interesting and allow us to continue to practice alone at home. They are for example mindful eating or mindful walking.
Each Class usually has a theme and some other more theoretical aspects of Mindfulness may be discussed and explored.
Mindfulness Classes Spring 2019
The Space - Newtownmountkennedy
Finding Peace In A frantic World
6 Week Mindfulness Course
This course is based on the same named book and follows a well-structured, informative and practical approach on how to bring Mindfulness into every aspect of life and experience the benefits for yourself rather then reading or hearing about them. Throughout this course you will learn and practice all the formal Mindfulness Meditations in class as well as at home and be encouraged to integrate some of the informal mindfulness practices into your daily life.
Dates: Monday 7th October – Monday 18th November -no class on Bank Holiday Monday 28th October
Time: 7.45pm – 8.45pm
Location: The Space – Newtownmountkennedy
Cost: €110 (6 x weekly classes + Mindfulness Day on 10th November) or €85 no Mindfulness Day
Provided: Personal Workbook, Audios and individual support if needed
Suitable for anyone even without any previous experience.
Book your place here
Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation (taken from “Finding Peace in a frantic World”)
Numerous psychological studies have shown that regular meditators are happier and more contented than average. These are not just important results in themselves but have huge medical significance as such positive emotions are linked to a longer and healthier life.
- Anxiety, depression and irritability all decrease with regular sessions of meditation. Memory improves, reaction times become faster and mental and physical stamina increase.
- Regular meditators in general enjoy better and more fulfilling relationships
- Studies worldwide have found that meditations reduce the key indicators of chronic stress, including hypertension
- Meditation has also been found to be effective in reducing the impact of serious conditions, such as chronic pain and cancer and can even help to relieve drug and alcohol dependence.
- Studies have now shown that meditation bolster the immune system and thus can help fighting off colds, flu and other infectious diseases.
- Regular Mindfulness practice increases one’s general overall awareness of body, emotions, thoughts, habits and actions which is the first step for change and for learning new life skills.
It has been shown and proven through extensive research and brain scanning that a 6 - 8 week mindfulness program can literally change the physical structure of the brain such as the shrinking of the Amygdala Gland which is responsible for our “stress responses”. The effect of which is being able to respond rather than react habitually to challenging and stressful events. The other exciting discoveries was that the brain areas responsible for “empathy” and “reasoning” became more active and enlarged increasing the ability to bring attitudes of kindness and acceptance to oneself as well as to others. All of these resulted in an enhanced sense of well being and contentment and more resilience.
General Mindfulness Classes
Mindfulness for Health and Well-Being
Anyone can learn Mindfulness skills and experience its benefits that touches every aspects of life.
This class is for anyone who would like to start practicing Mindfulness and is interested in learning what this is all about. It will also suit those with previous experience who would like to deepen their practice. The class is especially beneficial for anyone who would like to learn to manage stress, has anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain or is recovering from an illness.
These Mindfulness classes will help us to feel more connected and develop skills on how to look after ourselves more effectively in a kind and compassionate way. The class will give you a sense of deep nourishment and rest.
The classes are suitable for anyone with previous experience of mindfulness, has done an 8 Week MBSR course and who wishes to get the opportunity of a regular practice in a group setting which can greatly support their own personal practice at home.
Mindfulness practice may help you to:
- become familiar with the workings of your mind, including the ways we avoid or get caught up in difficulties.
- notice the times when you are at risk of getting caught in old habits of mind that re-activate downward mood spirals or ratchet up anxiety levels.
- explore ways of releasing yourself from those old habits and enter a different way of being.
- get in touch with a different way of knowing yourself and the world.
- notice small beauties and pleasures in the world around you instead of living in your head.
- be kind to yourself instead of wishing things were different all the time, or driving yourself to meet impossible goals.
- find a way so you don’t have to battle with yourself all the time.
- accept yourself as you are, rather than judging yourself all the time.
- be able to exercise greater choice in life.
- Effects of developing mindfulness include;
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
- Enhanced interpersonal relationships
- Increased ability to manage anxiety and depression and/or low mood
- Reduced tension
- Better sleep
- Greater sense of meaning and purpose in life
Everyone is very welcome
- Where: The Space - Newtownmountkennedy (at the back the surgery).
- When: Mondays 7.45pm - 8.45pm Starting 9th September
- Cost: €40 for 4 weeks or €15 drop in Booking essential to make sure there is a space for you
This is a highly practical, experiential and informative class.
Suitable for anyone even without any previous experience.
Book your place here
Mindfulness Classes Greystones
Cancer Support Center
This class supports anyone who is currently going through treatment or is recovering and also for those caring for somebody who is ill. This is an ongoing class possible to drop in as it suits. We practice all aspects of Mindfulness and create a supportive, deeply nourishing environment. Participants have found that this class has given them a different perspective about their health and how to look after themselves with kindness and compassion.
- Where: Support Center Greystones.
- When: Mondays 10.30am - 12.00pm and Fridays 11am -12pm
- Cost: free for Members please contact Greystones Cancer Support Center here
Greystones Mindfulness Relaxation Class
Restoring Health and Wellbeing
Relaxation is an art that most of us have forgotten or perhaps have never even learnt to begin with. In our modern, fast moving world it is difficult to find time to truly relax yet it has never been more vital. Lacking an ability to relax is a common cause for many illnesses. Being able to relax, to let go, to stand still for a moment and listen before acting is a vital need not a luxury. It is essential if we want to stay on top of the daily demands, enjoy life with long lasting health and vigor and reach our full human potential. It is during such short periods of relaxation that the body and mind can restore themselves by differentiating between the important and non important, avoiding the constant accumulation of stimulation that leads to stress in the mind and tightening of all our body structures. It’s right up there with eating and drinking, it is a life essential!
This class is for anyone who would like to learn how to relax deeply on all levels- physically, mentally and emotionally. We will use gentle and slow stretches, recuperative poses (Poses with lots of support to hold them), breathing practices and Yoga Nidra - a guided relaxation. Throughout the course you will experience what it means to be relaxed in your body and mind, the techniques that you will learn can become powerful tools for you to use on your own when you really need them.
This class is suitable to everyone - no previous experience required. It is also very beneficial for anyone with health problems either acute or chronic or undergoing treatment.
- Where: Greystones St. Patricks Church
- When: Thursdays 7.00pm -7.45pm
- Cost: €40 for 4 weeks or €14 drop in.
Next Course starts 1st February for 4 weeks
Book your place now